“The common diseases that touch, or will touch, at some point almost every one of us, like diabetes, heart disease and mental illness, all have some inherited component.”
This section answers some important questions such as:
- What are genes?
- Why should we know more about our genes?
- How might my genes impact on my health?
- What is a genetic disease?
- How can I find out if I am at risk of developing a genetic disease?
- If I am at risk what can I do?
“Decisions about genetics will not just affect the health of individuals, but will play an important role in future advancements of healthcare. When it comes to these issues we all need to be well informed so we can participate in an open dialogue.”